The Mosque, erected in 1891 is situated in the North area of Broken Hill, built on the original site of the 'camel camp' where Afghan and Indian camel drivers once loaded and unloaded their camel teams. The camel drivers who built the mosque were actually Indians, they came from Sindh (now part of Pakistan with Karachi as its capital) and Balochistan.
The Mosque is the only surviving Muslim mosque in Australia built by early cameleers.
The two room simple wood and iron structure, consists of an anteroom and the prayer room. In the prayer room, the priest (known as a Mullah or Imam) conducted the service as he stood in the alcove facing towards Mecca with his back to the congregation. Each Muslim knelt upon a prayer mat and recited prayers from the Koran.
The requirements for a mosque are simple, and many range from the four walls of a tent, to an opulent structure such as may be found in some Eastern countries. Few furnishings are required, and no images of the Prophet Mahomet, are permitted within a mosque.
Foot ware must not be worn by any person entering a mosque, local Muslims observed the custom of having their feet washed before entering the building. Upon removing their footwear, Muslims stood beside a concrete channel as water was poured over their feet. They entered the Mosque by walking on two specially constructed 'stepping stones'.
After the death of the last Mullah the Mosque was abandoned.
There are still descendants of the early Afghan and Indian families living in Broken Hill.