Broken Hill Historical Society operates a historic educational museum inside Silverton's former schoolhouse, 22km north-west off Broken Hill.
Schooling in Silverton first began in a pitched tent in 1884. In 1885 a single-roomed timber and iron building was built to house 60 pupils, within 2 years the pupils number rose to 147 and rising daily. After August 1888, the construction of the stone building standing today began and was completed in 1889 with Mr Joseph Watts as head teacher; Miss Mary Cameron (Dame Mary Gilmore) as teaching assistant.
Due to a decreasing population, the Silverton Public School closed its doors after some 90 years of education in 1970, leaving behind a shell of memories.
However the doors were reopened and memories relived in July 2008 when the building became a School Educational Museum, the official opening was held on the 7th June 2009 with one ex-teacher and over 70 ex-students and their families in attendance.
The school museum comprises an olden-day classroom, housing artefacts and photographs used in educating the children (ie. Readers, maps, original school work by ex- students and articles used by their families) during the life of the school and other schools in the area.
Other schools in the area during the prosperous times include Thackaringa, Acacia, Daydream Mine, Umberumberka Mine and Umberumberka Reservoir School.
Services: We offer 'back in time' School Lessons for schools, groups, clubs and tourists. These lessons must be pre-booked with at least 3 weeks notice. A different charge applies for school classes or groups.
Bookings: *essential for schools and groups
Phone School Museum: (08) 8088 7481 *only available during opening hours.